Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

y ***** *****s have got red pimples under their arm pits

Customer Question

y ***** *****'s have got red pimples under their arm pits and on their lower belly. One dog had it first then the second dog got it about a week later. Neither dog is itching or sore and their behaviour is normal. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin In the great majority of cases, those red pimples on the axillary (armpit) and glabrous (hairless, thin)skin represent a superficial spreading pyoderma - a staph infection, usually. Pyoderma is best addressed with a systemic broad spectrum antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past resolution of clinical signs. These are prescription antibiotics, however, that Budgie's vet would need to prescribe. For now, shampooing the affected areas every 2-3 days with an antimicrobial shampoo containing chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should suffice and may even obviate the need for antibiotics. These shampoos are available over the counter and from your vet hospital. The human Hebiclens contains chlorhexidine and should be found at your local druggist's. Most pyoderma arises secondary to underlying allergic dermatitis. A contact dermatitis (not common in dogs) or inhalant dermatitis (atopy/allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc. - particularly in JRs) should be considered although a lack of pruritis (itchiness) would seem to belie such allergies in your dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there

Just to let you know that I saw the vet today and as you anticipated, she diagnosed a staph infection for Budgie. I have been given 250 mg ( half a tablet, twice a day) of Noroclav to be administered for 10 days. My vet has told me to return after that so she can check that the drug is working. If it is a stubborn infection she said he may need another course.

My other JRT seemed to recover by himself from the skin infection and the vet felt there was no need to medicate him. She also informed me that neither dog would be contagious.

I thank you again for your help and knowledge. It put my mind to rest while I waited to see their vet. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you for the good update and kind words. I appreciate your taking the time to do so.

Please disregard the info request.