Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

we live in saudi arabia, and our 11 year old lab/retriever

Customer Question

we live in saudi arabia, and our 11 year old lab/retriever has just stopped eating, from Monday:
He ate only half his food, was sick during the night and brought it up.
No food Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday; has has been drinking water.
Called vet nurse on compound where we live; who saw him Friday.
Temperature was 39'.
She administered 1.5ml Penla (long acting penicillin).
Left us with amoxicllin to administer over next 2 days.
He ate 3 slices cheese Friday evening.
Urinating in garden; no motion passed since Monday; just been now; it was blackish in colour, soft side of firm to start with then became loose.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Zane's body temperature was normal. I must play devil's advocate and tell you that long acting penicillin hasn't been recommended to be used in dogs for many years. It doesn't reach adequate blood levels. Administering an antibiotic at all in such a patient is inappropriate at this time.
I understand the difficulty finding competent veterinary help where you're living but Zane needs to be thoroughly examined and diagnostics in the form of blood/urine tests performed. X-rays or ultrasound of his abdomen should be considered as well. He's been inappetent far too long and at 11 years of age he doesn't have the reserve that a much younger dog has. His symptoms of inappetence, initial vomiting and now diarrheic stool aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I regret that I can't be more specific for you at this time.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Zane, please?