Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 9 month old GSD had her firs season on the 22nd June and

My 9 month old GSD had her first season on the 22nd June and lasted 3 weeks but on the 16th August started to show signs of starting a second season which has developed into a full blown season with all the behavioural and physical signs like swollen vulva, licking, backing up and lifting the tail to one side etc. she is showing no signs of ill health and is as active as a 9 month GSD should be Is this possible for a dog to have two seasons so close together or could it be some other disorder. Brian.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This is not normal and does warrant a consult with your veterinarian, especially if you are interested in breeding her. There are several possible causes for this that could include:

1) having short interestrous intervals (time between heats)
2) having split heats (the same heat that is just taking longer)
3) having nonovulatory heats

The option that you have is to monitor her and see if she goes through this second heat cycle in the next 2 weeks. If she has discharge phase that lasts longer than 7days, she really should have a consult with her veterinarian or a reproductive veterinarian specialist. We do also have to have on the list potential infection (pyometra), although we generally see this in older dogs.

Dr. Joey :

I want to reassure you that it can be normal for young bitches to have short interestrus intervals (the time between heats) for the first few cycles. This could be been split or anovulatory cycles (means she is not ovulating and just having the hormone cycles). She should settle into a more normal 5-8 month interestrus interval soon.

Dr. Joey :

I know that is conflictory what I stated above. This is generally not "normal" if it continues to occur (so if she does this another 1 or 2 times). If she was my patient I would recommend monitor her through this heat cycle and see if she then settles into normal time period between cycles. If she cycles again within another few weeks, then she needs an evaluation, or if the discharge phase lasts an exorbitant time period (typically lasts 3 to 10 days).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your in depth response, I will be getting her checked out at my vets ASAP but I have just one more question.

I do not intend breeding her so if I have her spayed would this be beneficial although picking the timing of this could be difficult if her cycles continue to be close together.

Brian.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
ABsolutely getting her spayed now will resolve all of this. However, as a surgeon we do prefer she be out of heat to do this surgery. It can be done while she is in heat, but it does make the surgery take a bit longer. However, if you do not plan to breed her, then there is no need for extensive testing to know "why" she is having frequent heat cycles.