Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Sick dog

Customer Question

We are minding my daughter's 7 month old cocker spaniel and she was very sick early this morning.Since then she ds not seem t have proper control of her legs and seems to be very frightened of something. She keeps backing away from steps and when trying to remve her from the car.She is now very docile and sleeping she has not been sick since this morning

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Lola's history is puzzling. Vomiting in association with ataxia ("drunken sailor") and such a change in mentation/behavior suggests an intoxication with a prescription drug or partial seizure. Is there a chance that Lola could have found a pill on the ground or another psychotropic drug?
May I have an update on her, please, as well?
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She became ill that we had to take her to the local pets hospital. She was examined and kept in for tests. They informed us that she had a birth defect and her kidneys were not properly formed at birth. She has just come out with us administering medication. We have been informed that as she grows it will put too much demand on her kidneys with the obvious outcome.

My daughter, her owner, she will be happy to be re-united, returns from holiday in Spain tomorrow Such a shame, the pup is such a lovely dog.

My granddaughter will be mortified. Thank you for your help it was greatly appreciated.

Ken Denton

I'm sorry to hear of this, Ken. I appreciate your taking the time to update me.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.