Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My female JRT is 14+ yo and she suffers from arthritic joints

My female JRT is 14+ yo and she suffers from arthritic joints and spine. She takes tramadol and much of the time she is reasonably mobile. She still loves two walks a day and she eats well. She incontinent at night in both respects. She is becoming increasingly dependent on me, for example to carry her down stairs or physically put her in her bed at night. She has always spend regular spells in kennels, as we go away a lot. The kennels has a vet on site. Is it fair to go on sending my dog to the kenneks for a week or two, even as she gets older and really just wants to stay at home in her known routine, and with me? Is it going to make her suffer to be away from home?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that Tess is experiencing some anxiety related to her decreased ability to do things for herself that she once could and that makes you concerned that she may have even more anxiety in a kennel situation.
I think the question about whether it is fair to leave her in the kennel depends upon whether this is a familiar place that she has always gone to and knows the workers well, or whether this is a new kennel for her, and the quality of care at the kennel.
I think it also depends upon her reaction to being there. Some dogs don't mind the kennel if it is somewhere they have always gone and they feel safe there.
Especially with an older dog, being alone in their home without their owners being home, and the regular routine that goes along with that, can be very frightening. They may panic.
Whereas being in a smaller, safer environment, especially with familiar people and their coming and going in a routine manner can be comforting.
If you come home to a very anxious dog after being kenneled that has lost weight then that is a very good indication that kenneling her is not a good idea. However if she comes home and seems herself, other then being a little tired, then I think the kennel is fine.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.