Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

can you help me please! my dog has a creamy hard crustacean

Customer Question

can you help me please! my dog has a creamy hard crustacean to the outer tip's of both ears, almost like blisters and she is constantly shaking her head! i have checked for ear mite and she seems to be clear but does now have some inflammation. could you give me a clue to what it could be and how to ease her anxiety
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Lola. The outer tip of the ears is home to quite a few skin disorders in dogs which are labeled as "ear margin dermatitis". We need to consider scabies (mange mites), a fly bite dermatitis, vasculitis, autoimmune skin diseases such as the pemphigus complex, drug reactions, solar dermatitis (UV light sensitivity), and the idiopathic (unknown cause)ear margin dermatosis (seen more often in Doxis but any dog with pendulous ears is predisposed).
Lola's vet will need to distinguish one of these skin disorders from the other but for now you can soak those crusts in water or mineral oil in order to gently soften and remove them and then apply an over the counter hydrocortisone-containing cream thrice daily. Steroids such as hydrocortisone can be prescribed for every one of the above possible skin disorders that I mentioned.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.