Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

My Yorkshire terrier is 14 yrs old. He is very light dog. He

My Yorkshire terrier is 14 yrs old. He is very light dog. He recently was diagnosed as having a heart murmur. He is not on any medication at the moment. He has just started having odd turns. What he does is: he will be a sleep and get up and yelp,his front right leg goes stiff and his head goes on one side. What do you think is going wrong? I would welcome some help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 2 years ago.
Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron.

Dr Aaron :

Please let me know when you're available to talk about dog.

Customer: Any time now until 10.30
Dr Aaron :

Perfect.

Dr Aaron :

I can definitely understand your concern.

Dr Aaron :

Is your dog coughing?

Customer: No
Dr Aaron :

does he fall to his side when he has an episode?

Dr Aaron :

hello?

Customer: No his leg goes stiff and he goes back ward. He points his paw. While doing this he yelps. After the event he finds it difficult to walk for a few moments.
Dr Aaron :

how often does this occur?

Dr Aaron :

did it start shortly after diagnosis of the heart heart murmur?

Dr Aaron :

What did your local vet recommend to do about the heart murmur?

Customer: There can be long moment of nothing while he is a sleep. Then when he gets up, it's about every 30 mins.
Dr Aaron :

Did your vet check to see if your dog was experiencing any back/neck/leg pain?

Customer: No
Dr Aaron :

is your dog painful after the episodes (when you pet him over the neck/back/front leg)?

Customer: No, he seems to calm down quicker if I pick him up, but he is very stiff.
Dr Aaron :

Is he exhibiting any other odd behavior?

Customer: No
Dr Aaron :

going into different rooms? getting lost? running into things? seeming more anxious?

Customer: Oh, yes. If he can he is right under my feet or resting against me. If he can't do that he will go under chairs, which he never has done before.
Dr Aaron :

It is very possible that what you are noting is a type of seizure. Especially if he doesn't seem painful. Often times seizures are thought of as being events where animals lose consciousness and violently thrash, but that isn't always the case.

Dr Aaron :

Sometimes it can affect a single area (such as the face or a limb)

Dr Aaron :

usually the effects will wear off following a period of time.

Customer: What can I do to help him?
Dr Aaron :

If it is in fact a seizure, there are anti-seizure medications that can be effective.

Dr Aaron :

I would definitely recommend discussing this possibility with your local vet (Obviously I can't prescribe medication for your dog).

Dr Aaron :

If you can record a video of the event it might help your local vet determine if it is a seizure.

Customer: What would be the normal medication for a seizure .would aspirin be any help. Just for now or any homeopathy remedy
Dr Aaron :

aspirin would not be beneficial.

Dr Aaron :

Nothing at home would be helpful unfortunately.

Dr Aaron :

Phenobarbital is the most common medication used.

Customer: What about homeopathy remedy. I do have a few. I wouldn't want any thing to happen to him before I can see a vet.
Dr Aaron :

there aren't any successful homeopathies for seizures that I am aware of for dogs.

Dr Aaron :

Seizures don't tend to be life threatening (especially what you are describing), rather they can affect quality of life.

Customer: What is causing the seizure
Dr Aaron :

seizures that start later in life are usually secondary to changes in the brain. The most common is a brain tumor. It can also be epillepsy (no specific unknown cause).

Dr Aaron :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: Thank you for all your help, just to reassure me will he live abit longer if I get him to the vet. How long can they live with these symptoms, or condition?
Dr Aaron :

I would not expect him to pass away from these mini 'seizures' (if that is in fact what they are).

Dr Aaron :

It depends on if there is a underlying cause (and if yes-->what is it)

Customer: Thank you appreciate your time.
Dr Aaron :

you're very welcome. I would greatly appreciate a positive rating/review so that I may be compensated for my time.

Dr Aaron :

Take care.

Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people