Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been whipping her bottom on the floor and now see

My dog has been whipping her bottom on the floor and now see that she is red and swollen around the vulva and keeps licking there and between her paw and they are now very red. Will take her to the vets but tomorrow is bank holiday and want to know what it might be and how to make her more comfortable.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any swelling on the skin next to the anus?
2- Is the vulva swollen?
3- Is she spayed?
4- Any discharge from the vulva?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't see if there is swelling on skin near anus as I lifted her tail she yelped and ran off.
Her vulva is red and swollen and more noticeable when she sits up rather than prone on her back.
She is spayed.
No discharge from vulva.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, it sounds like she has vaginitis, this is not a life threatening condition. A very important aspect of treating this is to stop her from licking/gnawing at the area. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. For tonight until you pick up the ecollar put a t-shirt on her to cover her vulva.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter