Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi. My three year old shih tzu is not walking steadily and

Hi. My three year old shih tzu is not walking steadily and is very subdued, he I was shaking earlier but this has stopped now. We cleaned our patio with diluted Jeyes fluid yesterday, although we kept him off the area during the cleaning he has walked on it since. He is off his good also. Please do you have any advice?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Gizmo isn't himself today, very subdued, shaking and walking unsteadily with a loss of appetite.
This product contains cresol, tar acids, and terpenes and terpenoids. All of these are gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. I would not expect that product to create any problems with balance or movement. And if he went on the patio after the cleaner was already rinsed off and dried that may not be the problem.
With his breed his symptoms may be related to back pain, in which case strict rest is best for at least 48 hours, and if he is not improving then he should see his veterinarian.
In case he did ingest some of the cleaner there are some things we can do at home to settle his stomach and get him feeling better.
To try and settle his stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber if he has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.
Once he's feeling better then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.
If he is vomiting, refuses to eat even after the acid reducers or has explosive diarrhea it is best he seen a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat his gastrointestinal system.
If his weakness, or unsteady walking worsens he should also see a veterinarian promptly.
Let me know if you have any questions.