Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my border colllie cross is 16 years old, and is in reasonably

my border colllie cross is 16 years old, and is in reasonably good health, apart from his back legs, is there anything we can do for him, bearing in mind his age?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe what is happening with his back legs?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has become more noticeable in the last 6 months, where his back legs will suddenly "give way".

He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, and he still enjoys a walk, I suspect moving around helps his condition.

Regarding weight, he is by no means overweight, I would estimate around 25-30 kg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He appears to drag his back legs a bit, and sometimes they almost "give way", but he still enjoys a walk, and can get around.

It has deteriorated over the last 9 months or so, we assume it may be an arthritic condition.

He has been seen by vets when he has had innoculations, and they just say it is his age.

As for weight, I would say around 25kg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, given his age and his legs with sudden weakness it is very like this to be related to arthritis of the hips, spine or both. We do have very good prescription anti inflammatory medications like Rimadyl used in dogs with arthritis. Medications of this type or only sold through a veterinarian not over the counter. Discuss with your vet about starting him on Rimadyl. In the meantime, I would start him on Glucosamine 350-400mg a day long term. You can find glucosamine over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter