Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have two chis both have floating knee caps LP Junior has

I have two chi's both have floating knee caps LP Junior has had one leg operated on but has had to have three ops and is still limping now he needs the other one done Polo legs are bad as we'll but I'm loosing trust in the vet as three ops seems a bit much to get it right so far the cost is 4.5k
Would really like your advice as to wether this is normal or should I go to another vet
Thanks Sherrie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Although we can see failure as a matter of course in some treatments, I agree that 3 failed surgeries sounds excessive.

Dr. Susan :

Is your regular general practice vet doing these surgeries?

Customer: Ii was referred to Goddards hospital by ny vet to the top man he did not do the first op but did the second and third
Dr. Susan :

Where is Goddards located? I'm going to determine if he is a board certified surgeon.

Customer: WANSTEAD London it is a hospital
Dr. Susan :

Sorry about that, you have different initials in the UK, I had to figure them out!

Dr. Susan :

Did you have Dr. Gardner do the surgery?

Customer: That's ok yes
Dr. Susan :

OK. I see from the CertSAS that he is indeed a qualified surgeon.

Customer: Sean done the first one then john done the other two
Dr. Susan :

You mentioned that Junior is limping. Does he seem painful?

Customer: Yep if I walk him at a steady pace he limps about every six steps. Any faster he bounces on it so as not to bend it. And running he does not put it down
Dr. Susan :

How long ago was the most recent surgery?

Customer: Six weeks ago
Dr. Susan :

OK. Rather than moving forward with an additional surgery, I would strongly consider seeking physical therapy for Junior.

Dr. Susan :

After having problems with this knee for so long, it can take additional pain management, time, and PT to help him use it appropriately again.

Dr. Susan :

Is he on any pain medication now?

Customer: We tried hydrotherapy but she stopped it on the second occasion ten minutes in as it was making his other leg worse. He is not on any meds
Dr. Susan :

I strongly recommend a joint supplement (glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate), an NSAID like carprofen, gabapentin, and possibly amitriptyline.

Dr. Susan :

Massage and therapeutic laser may be better forms of PT than hydrotherapy at this time.

Dr. Susan :

After these, Junior should also have some stretching.

Dr. Susan :

A qualified PT should be able to demonstrate how to stretch him so that you can do this at home.

Dr. Susan :

I think we need to focus on reduction of pain before we try to force him to use the leg.

Customer: Ok thanks for that I will get him some. What do you advise about his other legs and polos legs if I do nothing will this effect them later in life
Dr. Susan :

It all depends on how they are acting. If they are using the legs and putting normal weight on them, I don't worry about it. In other words, we can find a luxating patella during a regular exam, but if the owner doesn't see a problem at home, we do not pursue surgery.

Dr. Susan :

If you are seeing non-weight bearing lameness, then unfortunately, surgery is the only way to go.

Dr. Susan :

We can see increased lameness and arthritis in the long term if we do not go forward with surgical repair.

Customer: Ok thank you very much you have put my mind at rest
Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics