Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

scab on face by eye

Customer Question

scab on face
by eye
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has he had the scab?
2- Is it below or above the eye?
3- Is he scratching it or rubbing his face?
4- What is the name of the topical antibiotic you are using?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 for about 3 months

2 below his eye just on the cheek bone

3 always

4 antibacterial powder

the scab dries and comes off then he starts to rub it and it starts all over again, he does have bad teeth even though i brush them everyday, he eats and treats without fuse

thank you for helping Tina

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Do you ever see a discharge coming from the scab or does the skin open up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i do see a little discharge yellowish, i use warm water and dab it gentle

thank you Dr Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Tina, given the length of time that this has been going on and not healing, it is possible what you are seeing is an infection that is stemming from his teeth. In other words, he could have an infected tooth that is erupting the infection through the skin. Or, there could be an underlying infection that is resistant to the antibiotic powder you have been using.
In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. If related to a tooth abscess he will need to have the tooth extracted. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not let him scratch or rub the area. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from scractching affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i will follow your instructions with the face wash, can you advice me on an antibiotic as im not happy about taking Benny to the vet locally< my homopatic partice is in Dorset which will will take my a***** so please Dr Peter can you help me to reduce the absese

thank you tina

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
For now you can use a topical antibiotic as described above with the chlorhexiderm which is an excellent antimicrobial. As far as antibiotic orally, there are many that can be used. Clindamycin at a dose of 10mg/kg every 12 hours for 10 days would work well. It is important remember the abscess will get better on the antibiotics. But, if the infected tooth is not removed the abscess will come back once off the antibiotics.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can i purchase the antibiotic from you Dr Peter

thank you for your help and support, iv been worried sick because i love him so much

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
No Tina you can't. You see, by law in order for a veterinarian to write a prescription for a dog that veterinarian writing the prescription must examine the dog. I am sorry.

You're welcome.

Please let me know if you have additonal questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

excellant spot on service my vet has comfirmed you asnwers to my questions

thank you Dr Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello Tina, excellent!

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter