Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 9 yr old Maltese has always been very needy and we moved

My 9 yr old Maltese has always been very needy and we moved area last year which upset her a bit. Then in may she became Ill and was put on a hypo allergenic diet which she is not keen on! She will eventually eat her breakfast but sometimes won't eat anything else.She also has arthritis which now needs medication and we are trying to get one that doesnt upset her gut so I need her to eat regularly as she also needs propaline. She is very clingy with me and follows me around the house.I do sometimes lose my temper with her .what is the best way to deal with this as she always seems quite sad?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will wait for an answer

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Would you be interested in a home-cooked presumptively hypoallergenic recipes for your Maltese in the hopes that she would find your cooking appealing and solve your problem of her not eating well? For example, please see the following:
rabbit, roasted, 6 ounces
quinoa, cooked, 1 1/2 cups
canola oil, 2 tsp
salt substitute (potassium chloride), 1/2 tsp
bone meal powder, 2 tsp
salt, iodized (sodium chloride), 3/4 tsp
multivitamin & mineral tablet, kids complete, 1 each
zinc, 100mg tablet, 1/2 tablet
Prepared weight ~ 472g. Total kcal as prepared = 755 kcal, the daily requirement of a 20kg senior dog. You can refrigerate what isn't eaten for three days and freeze it indefinitely as long as you check for spoilage.
tofu, extra firm, 12 ounces
rice, white, long-grain, cooked, 1 1/2 cups
red kidney beans, canned, drained, 1 cup
canola oil, 1 tbsp
bone meal powder, 2 tsp
salt, iodized (sodium chloride), 1 tsp
zinc, 100mg tablet, 1/2 tablet
vitamin B12 liquid, 1000mcg B12 per ml, 0.25ml
Prepared weight ~864g. Total kcal as prepared - 1048 kcal, the daily requirement of a 32kg senior dog. You can refrigerate what isn't eaten for three days or freeze it indefinitely as long as you check for spoilage.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am happy to continue with the diet she is on and don't need any recipies. I need to know how to deal with her lack of enthusiasm for everything and her being so clingy with me.

Thank you for clarifying that. I would first investigate a possible underlying medical etiology for her behavior change. Her lack of enthusiasm and clinginess are pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of discomfort in our dogs. The narcotic analgesic tramadol should be considered when we're concerned that a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam will cause gastrointestinal distress. In fact, whenever inappetance exists, administration of an NSAID should stop. We need to consider that if she's currently being administered an NSAID, the discomfort from such a drug might cause the symptoms you're currently seeing.
A basic senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood/urine tests is indicated at this time. It should include a specCPL blood test which is the test of choice for identifying pancreatitis - a disorder that can smolder chronically and result in such lingering inappetance. Her urinalysis should be carefully examined for secondary bacterial infection because of her history of urinary incontinence. Pyelonephritis - infection of the kidney(s) itself - is painful and may result in what you've been seeing as well.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has seen a specialist and had a thorough exam that's when she was put on hypo. diet. She has had blood tests renal tests etc its really how best to deal with her attitude. Being clingy with me and not keen to do walks etc. I feel due to her normal manner I.e. being very needy in nature she may be being like this for more attention. and I'm not sure how best to treat her....ignore this or be firm??

Thank you. I have advanced training in canine behavior and have found that positively rewarding desired behavior gives the best results. When you tell her to leave you alone, go lie down, etc., and she behaves, you then make a fuss over her (petting, praise, a favorite toy or treat). This, then, reinforces that behavior and you'll find that in time she obeys without being positively reinforced. Punishment - even just losing your temper with her - reinforces her behavior because although it's negative attention, it's still attention to a dog. Positive reinforcement also works when you do want her with you - on a walk, e.g. You might bring a favorite treat with you and fuss over her when leashing her, when just a small distance from your house, and periodically during your walk. You're not only positively reinforcing good behavior but also reassuring her that she's behaving to your satisfaction. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that.Sounds like I need to be more patient and be more positive with her!d I'll certainly give it a good try. Thanks again

Sounds good. I'm going to check back with you in a couple of weeks for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did I give you a bad rating? It didn't seem to work when I clicked on it I gave you a good service one?!

No rating was received on my end. Please give it another try. If you continue to have trouble, please contact***@******.***
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok

I'll alert my moderator to your trouble.