Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 4 year old llasa/***** ***** cross had cruciate ligament

Customer Question

My 4 year old llasa/***** ***** cross had cruciate ligament surgery in May this year.
Everything was fine and healed well.
However he has an on-going infection at the top of the original scar.
This is weeping poison type fluid.
I have been back to my vet several times.
Igor(my dog) has been on 1.5 anti-biotics a day with saline bathing.
This has still not healed.
We have been advised the implant may have to be taken out or a drain put in.
Help I am so anxious about all this surely it should have healed by now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're correct - the incision should have healed by now and because it hasn't, an infection resistant to the antibiotic(s) you've administered or - more likely - an implant needs to be removed.

The discharge that has risen to the surface of Igor's skin needs to be have a culture and sensitivity performed on it in order to determine which bacteria are present and which antibiotic would be best to prescribe. If this has already been done, it's time for surgical intervention. The original incision is re-opened and the draining tract (the fistula) is followed to see where it leads. If it continues down into the knee, it's likely that the implant will need to be replaced. If the fistula stops before it reaches the knee, surgical debridement and lavaging of that fistula plus the proper antibiotic should suffice. Ideally, the original surgeon should perform this surgery because he or she knows the anatomy of Igor's knee best.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.