Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

9 year old dog urinating and pooing in the house

Customer Question

My 9 year old dog has started urinating and pooing in the house even when he has access to the garden. He has also started drinking a lot more water and eating moss, dirt and gravel and anything else he can find that he shouldn't eat. he is also quite tired and lethargic at times. His appetite is still very good.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any diarrhea, vomiting or coughing?
2- Is he currently on any medications?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he losing weight?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My dog has none of the the above problems and is not taking any medication and isn't losing weight

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sarah, I am sorry for the delay in response, I was offline by the time you answered. If you would like to continue can you give me an update on your dog?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The dogs symptoms are still are same. We have now been told he is anaemic and waiting for results of bone marrow biopsy.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I've been watching your question all day to see if the original expert would return, but it doesn't look like he will so I wanted to give you some potential answers. Often illness will cause a dog to have a break in house training, so definitely follow up on the biopsy results.

I did want to mention that your dog is elderly as I'm sure you are aware. What you might not be aware of are that dogs experience a condition much like alzheimers in humans called Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome or CDS. Some sites suggest over 50% of dogs over the age of 8 have some degree of CDS. One of the most common signs of CDS is a break in house training.

There is a wonderful site that explains it well and also explains how to document your dog's behavior and discuss it with your vet. The good news is that there is a drug called L-Selegeline (Anipryl (R)) which has been recently approved for use in the clinical indication of cognitive dysfunction (CDS) in dogs. Please see this site for more information and other causes that may exhibit the same symptoms.

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/column/applied-behavior/house-soiling-cognitive-dysfunction-syndrome?96m5sri9MY

The other thing that you need to do is be sure and use an enzymatic pet odor cleanser and let it soak in as long as the original elimination did in order to totally remove the odor. If any odor remains it will draw the dog back to the same spot to eliminate again.

Discuss CDS with your vet and be sure your dog was checked for diabetes as well. That can cause a dog to become very hungry and to start eating other items as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.