Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a parson jackrussell his 11 years old has been diagnose

Customer Question

I have a parson jackrussell his 11 years old has been diagnose with pancreatitis he also has skin complaint I give him 1 prednicare a day but he has been scratching a lot so I've put him on 2 prednicare of 1mg per tablet he's also on low fat dog food which is good but by me upping the prednicare his stools have a bite of blood in it what is the best thing to do please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sorry to hear about Jack's pancreatitis and skin disease. Prednisone is usually contraindicated for use in during pancreatitis as it is thought to cause pancreatitis. However, don't just stop the prednisone suddenly. . .it should always be tapered off.

Dr. Barbara :

I imagine that the blood in his stools is from the pancreatitis and not from the prednisone. Prednisone can be irritating to the stomach lining which can cause bleeding, but blood from the stomach and small intestine would cause black and tarry stools, not frank or red blood. The blood you are seeing is from Jack's colon being inflamed because of the pancreatitis.

Dr. Barbara :

Do you know the cause of Jack's skin disease? Does he have any sores or lesions on his skin? Is he on a monthly flea preventative? I'm hoping that there could be an alternative to prednicare to treat his pruritis (itchy skin).

JACUSTOMER-sr76qocq- : No he as no sores at this moment but he does have wet eczema I've got FUCIDERM gel from vets and also MALASEB shampoo for it as we'll , got him on strong hold flea treatment for 12 months every month I give him this but he's still scratching , my house is very clean what can I do ?
Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks so much for your response. Fleas may not be the cause of his dermatitis. A large percentage of skin disease in dogs is due to allergies. Allergies can come from fleas, from inhaled allergens, from food, and from contact allergies. Then, because the skin is damaged or weakened by an allergic response, there are often secondary skin diseases like mites, fungal infections and bacterial infections. So the allergies need to be combated as well as the secondary infections.

Dr. Barbara :

Pancreatitis can be very serious. How is Jack with this disease today? Is he eating? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Also, which flea preventative do you use?

Dr. Barbara :

I will be off line for a couple of hours, but would very much like to help you out some with his allergies and with his pancreatitis. "See" you then?