Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

rolling on the floor on his back rubbing his head on the rug

Customer Question

rolling on the floor on his back rubbing his head on the rug he is a 12 year old ***** *****and gentle growling not aggressive sound is he in pain?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
No, Paddy is pruritic (itchy) rather than painful. His behavior is commonly seen in atopic dogs (dogs allergic to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) as well as dogs suffering from a food intolerance, drug reaction or envenomation from a flying insect or spider. It's not uncommon to see that behavior in happy dogs who have just eaten as well.
It's rare that I would be asked to address such behavior if it's occasional and doesn't affect my patient's quality of life. If acute and bothersome particularly if accompanied by swelling of the face/ears (an urticarial reaction such as hives) the administration of a fast-acting glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone should stop the behavior.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.