Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 11year old lurcher never seems to lie still for long,as

Customer Question

My 11year old lurcher never seems to lie still for long,as if he cannot get comfortable.no matter what he lies on,his memory foam bed,our carpet,our settee even on hard surface,like our wooden floor he fidgets around.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's reasonable to assume that such a restless 11 year old Lurcher is painful and the pain of osteoarthritis is my primary differential diagnosis. X-rays would be ideal but wouldn't change the manner in which I would address Biskit. I would dispense a two week trial of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam. If Biskit settled, the diagnosis is made and the smallest effective dose of the NSAID is found by trial and error. Adding fish oil to his diet at a dose of 40mg/kg daily of the EPA in your fish oil product should minimize the amount of NSAID needed to keep Biskit comfortable. Neutroceuticals such as Synoquin may also help minimize the need for a potent NSAID.
If two weeks pass without improvement seen, a basic senior/geriatric profile of blood/urine tests should be performed in an attempt to identify internal disorders that may be causing Biskit discomfort. If nothing untoward is found, seeing if an antacid such as PepcidTwo at 0.2mg/kg twice daily might be of value in case gastroesophageal reflux (GERD/heartburn) is responsible.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Mchael your reply was very helpful,I will be following up your advise and take him to his vets for NSAID.
You're quite welcome. I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.