Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

stomach is hard she is shaking but has gone to the toilet this

Customer Question

stomach is hard she is shaking but has gone to the toilet this morning
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets were unclear what was happening to Pumpkin. A "hard" stomach and shaking may be pain responses originating within the abdomen but also symptoms of back pain in our dogs - particularly if Pumpkin is a small or miniature breed of 4 years of age. In those dogs, degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") is a common cause of abdominal tensing and shaking. You might also see a change in posture (a "hunch" in her back or rigidly held neck), reluctance to jump up or down or navigate steps, vocalizing when approached or lifted, and a normally social dog becoming reclusing or a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy".

Please give me an update on Pumpkin and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.