Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog - a 2yr cross staff is pooin of an early morning, not

My dog - a 2yr cross staff is pooin of an early morning mostly soft poo. (around 1 or 2 am may be), he has breakfast around 10am medium cooked chicken breast & half a tray of wainwrights) not pooing every day or every wk, im not feeding hime of an evening now, just giving him bonios & 1 miss fits chomp. He is healthy weight & full of life...alergy or health issue?? Pls help

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

So sorry no one has assisted you to this point!

Yes it very well could be a food allergy but there are a few things that I would suggest to rule out first:
1.) Parasite as a cause since he is a young healthy dog so having your vet evaluate a softer sample to ensure there are no issues and possibly consider using a broad spectrum dewormer to ensure that nothing was missed as well
2.) Adding some fiber to the diet, especially being a Staffy mix he is a very well muscled breed and they can have gi issues if there is not a balanced diet. I recommend a book called Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats because it gives you guidelines on how to do a homemade diet and ensure it is well balanced. This can be purchased on-line or at your local bookstore. In the meanwhile supplementing fiber which can be white rice, canned pumpkin, raw carrots
3.) If this continues you can try a novel protein diet such as changing from chicken breast to perhaps bison or another lean meat that he has never had before. For a 1-2 week period he eats nothing besides his diet and no other sources of meat. Dog allergies are primarily meat-based so we want to avoid chicken, beef, fish, etc to see if his stool firms up

I do have dogs that have food allergies (my dog included) that has to be on a hypoallergenic diet longterm. This is also a possibility. But there are parasites that can cause occasionally loose stool and otherwise normal feces so I would want to rule this out first and foremost with a fresh loose sample evaluated by your veterinarian.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am on-line an additional hour this evening if I can be of any further assistance to you both. If you are satisfied with my responses please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!