Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have to coax my 3yr old Lab to eat and drink she is fine

I have to coax my 3yr old Lab to eat and drink she is fine otherwise urine and bowels ok will eat treats no problem
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Patricia, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Maisie hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. How long has this been going on?
2. Have you tried to feed her a different dog food?
3. Will she eat human food?
4. And just to confirm, no weight loss or lethargy or vomiting or diarrhea, correct?
5. Has she been seen for this problem? Is so, was any blood work done?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 just a couple of days
2 no
3 yes she will also doggie treats
4 no other problems she gets excited about walks and plays with us with her toys
5. No vet visit yet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Patricia:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

When presented with a situation like this...where a dog will willingly eat treats or human food and is otherwise acting like their normal self....then I suspect that they may just be tired of the current food they're eating.

I know it may seem odd, especially since Labs typically don't have problems eating anything put in front of them, but I've seen this particular phenomenon on more than one occasion.

Most, but not all dogs, will eat the same food throughout their lives and are perfectly fine with it. But, for some, they like a bit of variety and grow tired of the same thing day after day.

You don't want her to develop diarrhea by suddenly feeding her something new but I'd suggest that you purchase a different dog food and mix about 1/4th of it with boiled chicken breasts and rice (which is bland) and see if she'll eat it. If she does, then feed this combination for 2-3 days and then increase the percentages to 50/50 for another 2-3 days, then 75/25 and then 100% new food.

This slow transition is likely to prevent diarrhea issues from developing.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. Deb. Will try what you suggested and let you know the outcome . Thanks for your help
Trish Cornford
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Trish:
You're more than welcome although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back.
I would very much appreciate your staying in touch and letting me know how things go with Maisie. Regards, Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.