Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hello, My dog is just over one year old. He is a German

My dog is just over one year old. He is a German shepherd cross husky. I've started noticing that after a long walk, or lots of running (mainly from lengthy games of fetch), he pants rapidly for up to an hour, often longer, once we return from the walk. I don't feel like I'm over walking him as his breed obviously requires a lot... but the LENGTH of time he pants for is starting to worry me.. I can't tell if this is a recent development or not. I never noticed up until a few months ago but that may have been that I disregarded it.
Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any coughing?
2- Is it warm when you are out walking?
3- Is he walking any different or abnormal gait?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No to all those questions. He seems to pant just the same on hot and cold days. Probably a little longer on the hot days. His gait is completely normal and he doesn't cough when panting.

My only concern is the length of time after the walk, when he is resting, that he is vigorously panting. I've had dogs before and none have painted for so long

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Mary, as you may already know panting can be completely normal as dogs do not have the ability to sweat like you and I. So, it is part of the mechanism that they use to lower their body temperature. The fact that this happens after going for a walk and without any other symptoms it could be completely normal. Can there be a medical problem? Yes. Conditions like cardiopulmonary disease or neuromuscular disorders can also cause excessive panting after or during exercise. In order to rule in that this is normal the first place to start is a hands on examination with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter