Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

hi, i have a beagle puppy for 1 week whos is now 9 weeks.

Customer Question

hi, i have a beagle puppy for 1 week who's is now 9 weeks. This afternoon, he has been really lethargic, he hasn't vomited, had 1 nl poo, just lies there, had breakfast a bit of lunch and a bit of supper, is not drinking, gave him water with a syringe a few times. wet nose with a drop, funny bark , ? cough. can he have baby calpol?
Dr. Diane
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little one Leo isn't feeling well today with a wet nose, cough, and lethargy.

We do not recommend giving dogs Acetaminophen, which is the active ingredient in Calpol. They have trouble metabolizing it and an effective dose is fairly close to a toxic dose for some especially sensitive dogs. It can cause liver damage as well as red blood cell damage due to methemoglobin forming from the byproducts of acetaminophen being broken down.

It sounds like your little one has a respiratory infection. The most common one in dogs is infectious tracheobronchitis (kennel cough). Dogs that are very lethargic and febrile need supportive care such as fluids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like Metacam, and antibiotics. In little ones like Leo with an immature immune system secondary bacterial pneumonia is more common and can be deadly.

Other causes of respiratory infections in pups include the Distemper virus and influenza.

Though I am pleased he is eating, I am quite concerned about him given how lethargic he is. I highly recommend a veterinary visit today. Little ones simply don't have the reserves to fight off these sorts of infections and I'd feel better if someone listened to his chest and made sure that he hasn't developed pneumonia.

In the meantime keep him eating. You can get additional fluids in by feeding canned food and mixing in warm water or low salt broth.

Best of luck with Leo, please let me know if you have any further questions.