Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

We have just adopted a street rescue dog from Bosnia and although

Customer Question

We have just adopted a street rescue dog from Bosnia and although he goes ouside to poop,when he comes back in he after a while can be either laying down or walking and some poop drops out. He has a senstive tummy so we have him on the sensitive dry food but he seems to ake a bad smell all tne time and his stool is soft. Help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sounds to me like Medo isn't able to digest his food completely, or is reacting to something in his food. . . you mention that his stool is soft and he smells, also that he has a sensitive tummy. Do you think his smell is because he is passing gas? Does he have any vomiting? How long have you had him? Is there any blood or mucus in his stool? Thanks so much for your answers!

Customer:

Hi, yes it's definitley gas although this apparently happened in Bosnia occasionally we are told. There is no vomiting, and we have had him less than a week after a long journey overland from bosnia to the UK. No mucus in his stool. Thanks so much.

Customer:

Sorry just to add, cannot understand why he just doesnt go outside again to do it. Its almost like he doesn't even notice it.

Dr. Barbara :

A soft stool is actually diarrhea, so his intestinal system isn't functioning as well as it can. You've just had him for 1 week, so this could due to a new and different food, but it could also be due to intestinal parasites or a bacterial infection.

Dr. Barbara :

Has your vet dewormed him? Is he on a probiotic as well as the sensitive dry food?

Dr. Barbara :

Should add too, that all of his traveling and being in a new environment with a new food would not uncommonly upset the GI tract and cause diarrhea and gas. A special diet for a sensitive GI system is good. . .which one is he on?

Dr. Barbara :

It is problematic that he doesn't seem to have complete control of his defecation, but I do think that if we can resolve his soft stool and gas, and give him some time to settle into his new environment, that he ultimately will be fine. The question is, what is causing his GI upset, and how can we address this?

Dr. Barbara :

Probiotics. . .feeding him an abundance of healthy bacteria. . .often will take care of this general enteritis without actually getting a specific diagnosis. Also, deworming a dog for the possible intestinal parasites is important. . .both those he could have picked up on the streets in Bosnia, and from the shelter he was in there.

Dr. Barbara :

Other organ systems could be causing his problems also, so a general blood profile and a urinalysis would be a good idea.

Customer:

Thank you for this. Yes he has been dewormed but is not on a probiotic diet I will mention this. Thank you fory

Customer:

For your help.

Dr. Barbara :

You are very welcome. Just want to emphasize again that stress can very much upset the GI tract. . .just reading about that again in a veterinary journal.

Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
Hi Lindsay,
Thank you so much for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I'll put you and Medo down for a recheck in a few days, but if you have further questions before then, please let me know.
Take care,
Dr. Barbara
Hi Lindsay,
Just checking in on Medo. . .how is he doing?
Hopefully, as he becomes more familiar and comfortable with your environment, his GI tract will be less stressed.
I'd love to hear,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, well thank you for asking. He is a lot better, the pooping has nearly stopped, although he still seems to do a little when he is asleep/when he wakes up. His diet has been changed cometary to a vet prescribed Sensitive diet which seems to be doing the trick.im also giving him various supplements, biotin, omega 369 etc which also seems to help. So fingers crossed we are on the right track. Thank you for all your help.
Lindsay,

Very glad to hear about Medo's progress! Thank you so much for letting me know!

If Medo continues to have problems with pooping while he is asleep and upon waking, I think that withholding any supplements until this settles down may be the key. These are good supplements definitely, but maybe Medo's GI tract needs exposure just to the sensitive diet as it heals. . .Just a thought.

My best to you both,
Dr. Barbara