Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog develops small bald patches on his lower back , near

Customer Question

my dog develops small bald patches on his lower back , near his tail . this has occurred twice , both times after bathing . the first time i used medicated dog shampoo , the second time baby shampoo - please advise
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Flea saliva allergy is our primary concern when lesions appear caudal (toward the tail) to the edge of the rib cage. The use of shampoos shouldn't be incriminated and, in fact, an insecticidal shampoo might be indicated rather than the medicated or baby shampoos.
Response to prednisolone also suggests a flea saliva allergy. A bacterial folliculitis might initially appear to improve because it's antiinflammatory but prednisolone is contraindicated in the face of skin infection because it suppresses the local skin immune system which then promotes further infection. A systemic antibiotic such as one in the cephalosporin class (cephalexin, e.g.) is indicated if a secondary bacterial infection is found concomitantly with flea saliva allergy.
I recommend your redoubling your flea control by administering an effective over the counter topical such as Advantage or Frontline or a prescription product available from Scruff's vet. I expect that Scruff is excoriating his back and causing the sores and sensitivity. Treating your environment with an area treatment spray containing an insect growth regulator (IGR) can be invaluable in controlling the flea population. IGRs are available over the counter in products such as Siphotrol and don't allow flea eggs or larvae to develop into adult fleas.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.