Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is a 7yr old cypriot poodle who has now had 3 ops for

My dog is a 7yr old cypriot poodle who has now had 3 ops for his bum .op1 was to repair his torn bum from straining to poop with hard poo, sometime crying the 2nd op was to repair inside and make stronger the recent one was to move stomach back and take a piece from his leg to reinforce the bum lining. I am going to phone the vet in morning but it seems the 3 ops have only solved a damage problem and not the cause of the problem any idea's
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow has been through multiple surgeries for perineal hernias and I appreciate that you are trying to keep him as comfortable as possible and minimize straining.
There are two schools of thought about feeding these cases. But both are based upon keeping stools soft and easy to pass.
One is to increase fiber, which increases intestinal motility. This helps because the longer stools sit in the intestinal tract the more water is absorbed and the drier and firmer they become. Fiber also keeps more fluid in the stools and this keeps stools soft thus making stools easier to pass. The down side to this plan is that the stools that are produced are larger, thus more tension on the surgery sites and if he is a poor drinker then there may not be enough fluid in his gastrointestinal tract to keep the stools soft and we may end up with larger, dry stools which may actually be harder to pass. Prescription diets for this include Hills r/d or Purina Veterinary Diets OM.
The second feeding plan is to feed a highly digestible diet that will produce very small stools, thus decreasing tension on his surgical sites. The down side to this is that highly digestible diets have slower transitory times through his gastrointestinal tract and may become firm. Diets for this include Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN.
I also often add a drug called lactulose as that will soften his stools. Sometimes we need to play with the dose a bit to make sure stools don't get too soft, which could lead to diarrhea and straining.
Another option is adding Miralax to his meals. You can start with 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon to each meal. This is a softening agent, but not a bulk type stools softener. He must increase his fluid intake if you choose to use this though or he can become dehydrated.
If he were my fellow I would use a highly digestible diet, add lots of broth or warm water to every meal, feed 3 to 4 meals a day (the more often they eat the more stimulation his intestinal tract has to move), add Miralax to his meals and possibly start lactulose (as long as his stools aren't too soft which would also increase straining).
To increase his water/fluid intake in general offer ice cubes to lick flavored with a little meat baby food or made of low salt beef or chicken broth or offer chicken or beef broth to drink several times a day. Most dogs love these things.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.