Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

shitzu dog always scratching, suspect nits but unsure how to

shitzu dog always scratching, suspect nits but unsure how to spot them also the best treatment
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any abnormality in the skin like redness, flaky, etc.?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) About 6 months

(2) No abnormality obvious

(3) No previous medical conditions

(4) Approximately 9kg

Dog seems to be fit and healthy, enjoys life,walks,sleeps well, a real little treasure

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he scratching in one area or all over?
2- How often are you bathing him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(!) He rubs his head often I wonder if its his ears, these are quite hairy inside, one side is stained with wax.

(2)He is rinsed in plain water most days as he loves to go into the sea on the walks, but not over his head. At weekends he has a full wash under the shower which he enjoys, this is with shampoo.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Does his ear have a bad odor?
2- Is his skin dry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) NO

(2) No

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Ernest, I am going to opt out and allow other experts to comment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This seems to be going nowhere, I asked a straight forward question all I get is more questions. I agreed to pay £13=00 for advice, under no circumstances is this payment to be taken as a monthly payment, it was paid for advice on one occasion. I am not satisfied with the comments which have been given.

Ernest Hadley

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ernest,
I am sorry you are not happy with your answer. Would you like me to search for another Professional to assist you or would you prefer for me to close your question and reverse your charges.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, as long as there no further charges I will be happy for you ask for further advice. Your help is appreciated but I confirm that this is a one off deal and it is not to be charged monthly.

Regards Ernest

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ernest,
I am so sorry that you have waited so long for an answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. It has been a long holiday weekend her in the USA, so I just came online and saw your question.
Nits are the eggs of lice, and can be seen attached to individual hairs, and combed off with a very fine tooth comb to identify their presence. They are an uncommon cause of itching.
A far more common cause of itching is allergies. Dogs get itchy with food allergy, pollen and other environmental allergies, and the number one cause is allergy to flea bites.
If I am seeing a dog for itching, I look in the ears for any inflammation or infection, and all over for fleas, lice, scabs, etc. If there are bare or bald patches, I do skin scrapings for mites. Lice, nits, and fleas are tiny, but can be seen by the naked eye. Mites can only be seen under a microscope.
If infection, lice, mites or fleas are seen, treat for that condition.
Once I rule out an ear or other infection, and parasites, I recommend any or all of the following:
Regular oatmeal shampoos, to remove allergens.
Fish oil to reduce itch/inflammation
Antihistamines for itching. You can get diphenhydramine over the counter and give 12.5 mg 2 to 3 times daily, or loratidine 2.5 mg once daily.
Flea control, even if fleas are not seen.
A topical product called Allerderm to help improve the skin's natural barrier to allergens.
If all this fails, I might start to suspect food allergies. Dog with food allergies are itchy, particularly around the face and rear end. This is a little harder to try to treat. You have to eliminate everything he is currently eating, and feed a diet with something new to him, like a fish and potato, or a venison and sweet potato diet, and feed only that for a month or more. It is not as easy as it sounds; no table food or treats at all. So I start with the other things first.
I know your question was a simple straightforward one, but there can be so many reasons for a dog to be itchy!
These are just my first thoughts; please let me know what else I can help with or answer.
As far as charges, I only answer questions for the website so if you need to know more, I will refer you to one of the moderators for the website, like Shantal. It appears to me you have put down one deposit for this one question. You can get back to me as often as you like with follow up questions.
Your deposit becomes a payment when you give my answer a rating. Please be aware if you give me a rating, you are just rating me and my answer personally, not the website or the fact that you waited so long for an answer.
Let me know what else I can help with.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years