Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, I have a sitzu dog he is 5 and has always been a healthy

Customer Question

Hi, I have a sitzu dog he is 5 and has always been a healthy happy dog greeting me with excitment every time i come home or get up in the morning. But this morning he hasnt greeted me he has just stayed in his bed, he looks very sorry for himself and seems lathargic, his nose is cold and damp he wont lift his head and has a lot saliver in his mouth as well as around hid chin. Is he poorly? Im concerned as its not like him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. I just came online to find your question about Ricco. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How is Ricco doing?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there is no diarrhea but he is trying to vomit.. He is no better or worse than this morning although i have noticed his stomach is swollen and seems tender to him when i touch it. I have rang my vets but they can not fit him in till later today. He still wont eat or drink anything or come out of his bed. He has alot of saliver coming from his mouth. My partner has just come home from work and told me that he saw ricco with some cotton in his mouth a few nights ago and took it off him but notice that he had swollowed any

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you open his mouth and make certain there is nothing stuck under his tongue, gums and teeth?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no sign of anything stuck in his mouth or around his teeth oe tongue and his comes are a very pale pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Debbie, if his gums are pale pink this is a sign of poor oxygenation to the tissue. Having a history of hacking/gagging, drooling, etc. it is important to rule out ingestion of a foreign body, heart/lung disease, etc.
In this case, unfortunately there is not much I can recommend for you to do at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. I would strongly recommend not waiting and taking him now to your vet as a walk in emergency. It is important to make certain this is not a problem with his heart as this could be fatal if he is not treated promptly. For this reason, I would recommend to not wait. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much we are taking him now

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Great! Please keep me posted with findings. Best of Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ricco has been given antibiotics and antinflamatories as the vet seems to think he just has a sore thoat as he has no tempreture and his stomach feels normal. We have to take him back tomorrow to be checked. Thank you again

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Debbie, that is really good news; I am happy to learn it was nothing related to his heart. Thank you for the update.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Peter, just to give you a last update on Ricco. This evening he started choking to my horror, my partner turned him upside down and banged on his back and to our relieve an apple core fell out! Within minuets Ricco was back to his normal self and had plenty to drink. How this was missed by the vets is beyond me but at least our baby is a happy chappy again and seems to have had no bad affect from his dreadful day

Debbie

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello Debbie, wow! God bless your boyfriend! That makes so much sense why he was breathing that way. Thank you so much for the update.

Dr. Peter