Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

If I send xray pics of my friends dog could someone give me

Customer Question

If I send xray pics of my friends dog could someone give me a 2nd opinion?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. Can you post those x-ray pictures here? What is the history with Blackie and what is your vet wanting to do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
What is Blackie having as far as a problem? What is his history? What did the vet present?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Blackie is 9 months old had no problems until 2/3 weeks ago when after a play in park came home showing signs of lameness on back legs. Own vet talking of major surgery even though they can`t give an exact diagnosis

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
What type of surgery are they considering? How long ago were the x-rays taken? Did they start up any therapy at this time and see what the response is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

xrays were taken only couple of weeks ago. Re what surgery I think they just want to have a look because they can`t pinpoint a particular problem? No Therapy only pain relief tabs.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

What area are they wanting to do surgery on? Do they feel that the hips or the knees are the issue? Is the pain / lameness getting worse? Is it getting any better?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The lameness has got better since xrays. Although still on pain relief

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as whether hips or knees surely thats what I want you to tell me from xrays? With all due respect?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I'll be honest and say that when evaluating films, it is always key to having a good history and physical exam findings to help you look more closely and to evaluate them. When I'm evaluating a case, I will specifically palpate each joint to see if I can isolate discomfort there. I need to know where I feel like the area of pain is the most as I want to see what that looks like compared to where I don't feel pain is at. Sometimes x-rays can be misleading as far as showing clinical changes that may not be clinically significant. What breed is Blackie? From what I see on the films, nothing immediately looks like a surgical situation. I can't see anything that specifically I'd biopsy or feel needs corrected. That is great that the lameness has gotten better since being on the pain meds. Could the pain meds be weaned off and give her time to see how she does?