Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

5year old cross Dalmatian / retriever suddenly arches back,

Customer Question

5year old cross Dalmatian / retriever suddenly arches back, motionless, staggers sideways, cannot move, mouth stuck shut. Lasts 3 minutes, give care and then comes back to normal. No problem breathing, stays on feet although staggers side to side.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. This sounds the most like he is having seizures. For how long, and how often is he having these episodes?

Customer: That is only second time. First was last year. Bit of a nervous dog wonder if panic attack of some kind or seizure
Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your reply. Sounds much more like a seizure. Your dog is the normal age for epilepsy to begin. . .2-4 years, and this is likely what is happening.

Dr. Barbara :

Your vet should check him for other organ disease with a blood profile and a urinalysis just to make sure that he is not having liver problems, kidney problems or blood sugar problems, and if all is OK, will discuss with you placing your dog on anticonvulsants.

Customer: Many thanks, ***** ***** will contact vet as soon as home and get tests etc done, sincere thankss
Dr. Barbara :

You are very welcome. Hope you have wonderful holidays. . .I'd love to visit Ireland!!!!

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I'm going to put you in for a follow up contact so I can hear about how your guy is doing. There is no further charge for this.
Best wishes,
Dr. Barbara