Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My 9 month pup has got 4 adult teeth missing ! On the right

My 9 month pup has got 4 adult teeth missing ! On the right side of his mouth I have had an x ray and there in his gums but have not penetrated ! Is there any way ? Or an op that can get them to grow up ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. In a situation with teeth that haven't ruptured / come through the gum line, there isn't anything surgical that can be reasonably done to get them to come up. There isn't anything as far as a supplement or medication to help this either. Could there just be delayed rupture of them? He's still at an age where the next 3 months might have some very positive effects on the rupture of those teeth. As long as there isn't any teeth in those areas keeping them from coming in (deciduous teeth), then it is a time factor. As far as functionality issues / chewing shouldn't be affected by this situation. He should still be as happy and healthy of a little guy as possible. This is going to be a cosmetic issue if they don't come through the gum line.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had an x ray can I send you the x ray so you can see it ? This x ray was done at 6.5 months . There are no baby teeth left
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
If you post the x-ray here, I would take a look at it. I can't receive personal emails per site policy. Are these missing teeth the incisors (the ones up front)? Is he otherwise acting / eating / growing well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any ideas how I can post it on here ? It's just his bottom right hand side canine and 3 front teeth :( none of the breeders 15 year experience of breeding this has never happened ! I read that vets could of cut the gum to allow the adult teeth to start to come up ? Why is this not possible please ?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
There should be a paper clip icon to attach images. Sometimes on iOS systems it can be a challenge. The teeth aren't being held in by the gums. The guns aren't tough enough to prevent a tooth from coming through. The teeth themselves are the issue. They aren't progressing / growing as they should. To just cut the gum line makes a wound that won't just now allow the teeth to come through. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.colliesonline.com/aug2011/dental_2_082011.php
This is the place I read about it and they did cut the gum to allow the tooth to come through ! But was it because the tooth was through the gum but getting stuck ? Where as my boys are just not growing ! I'm really disappointed ! As this boy is 1 of my show dogs ! I've been told it's not a hereditary thing would you say the same ?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
If you look at what is talked about there, it is where the teeth are bulging out and they just can't quite break through the surface as it stretched. If there are no visible protrusions on the surface, this wouldn't help. That is good that no others have shown this before. There may be some extremely small genetic component to this with very, very low expression.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would he deffo get cysts in his gum if the teeth do not come through ? If they are in his bone still how will they be taken out ? He is happy boy eats so much lol he is fed are raw meat and bones do not hurt him he loves his raw food ! Would I have to have the surgery as I'm assuming it's not covered in insurance and I can imagine it being a lot of money :(
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
The dentigerous cyst is the issue of concern. Could these teeth have the functional secretory tissue at their base that causes a cyst to form? You could do sequential films to monitor for it starting up? Some will do surgery to get them exposed, but they most likely won't have a normal appearance. Some get physically extracted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I do the sequential films ?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
At the site of the un-erupted teeth, did the deciduous teeth come in at those spots and they fell out as they normally would? Or did no baby teeth ever appear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When u say deciduous teeth I'm guessing u mean baby teeth ! Yes all baby teeth were there even canine baby tooth was there ! They came out with play n via eating food etc all normal behaviour but then the adult teeth have just not come up ! There's no icon to attach the x ray
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for my delay. I had a chance to do some further looking into this. What did your vet say they recommended or could do for this situation? Did they talk about referral for a specialist to deal with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I spoke to the teeth and gum specialist as he goes to the vets twice weekly he told me he recommends them to be taken out ! But I just don't want him to go through that ! Plus I can't afford it ! I appreciate your answers thank you ! The answer is nothing can be done :( with potential to have an op in the future !
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I'm going to send you this link. It talks in great detail about in-erupted permanent teeth and the risk for dentigerous cysts. I was a bit off in my comments before. There is nothing that can be done to get these teeth to grow out. They have just failed to grow and erupt. Now in saying that, they can absolutely be extracted and eliminate the chance of causing the cyst. The cyst would be a lot of trouble if it developed.
http://www.toothvet.ca/PDFfiles/dentigerouscysts.pdf
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience