Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We got a puppy at weekend and has been fine so far, but today

We got a puppy at weekend and has been fine so far, but today he's been really ill all day, he's been sick 5 times and has diarrhoea. He ant eaten much or drunk much, he's pretty giddy all the time. He's 10 month old and has got his first injections this Saturday. But he has been eating are cats cat food when we ant been watching. Just wondering if we should leave him over night or go to a vets. Cheers
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?
2- Any blood in the stool?
3- Did you keep him on the same food as the previous owner?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are light pink or pale?
5- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He's sleepy now and then. And no he ant got no blood in his stool. Ye we have kept him on dry food. His gums are pale. And when we had him weighed he was 2.18 kg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- What breed is he?
2- How long since the last time he vomited?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He's a jackapoo. A jack russel cross with a poodle. And about half 7

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Thomas, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: Dietary indiscretion (the cat food??), intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.
I am a bit concern if his gums are pale, this could be a sign of poor circulation, anemia, etc. for this reason if you can have him checked tonight by a veterinarian; that would be ideal. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting/diarrhea the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do until he is seen by a veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Give him a teaspoon of honey, karo syrup or pancake syrup diretly into his mouth. Then, leave him without food or water for 3-4 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular puppy food over a period of 1 week.
4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter