Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

what can I do if I think my hasnt enough milk for her

Customer Question

what can I do if I think my bitch hasn't enough milk for her pups?
Shes a 3 year old Labrador bitch and she whelped 3 days ago with 5 pups
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me how the puppies are behaving, do they seem hungry?

Scott Nimmo :

Ok, here is what to do, have your vet check Maisie over in case there is some health problem such as perhaps she is running a temperature and so is in the early stages of perhaps a womb infection or mastitis. This could be the cause of the lack of milk ...

Scott Nimmo :

Very often though there is no apparent reason for the lack of milk in the mother and unfortunately there is sometimes no drug or other way to get the milk going.

Scott Nimmo :

If the puppies are getting enough milk they will be sleepy and quiet between feeds, if this is not the case they may be crying and restless. The bottom line is that if you think the puppies are not getting enough milk you will quickly have to start supplementary feeding. Use a dog milk substitute, you can get these form your vet or better pet stores.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry there is no other course of action

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Mark,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Maisie and her puppies are getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott