Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is 1st stage labour over 24 hours too long for this stage?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me is this her first litter?

JACUSTOMER-p7ci5e88- :

yes

Scott Nimmo :

With a first litter this could do on for as long as 36 hours ...

Scott Nimmo :

In first stage labour she could be showing symptoms such as being restless, panting, bed making and anxiety. What you will not be seeing though is strong active contractions which mark second stage labour as the pups are being propelled towards the cervix.

Scott Nimmo :

You may see little ripples, but not clear strong active contractions if she is still in first stage labour

Scott Nimmo :

First stage labour tends to go on longer when it is a dog's first litter ...

JACUSTOMER-p7ci5e88- :

Right - Many thanks I have bred Cats but not dogs before. I am a trained vet nurse but in the later 60's so am very out of date! This litter was a mistake but both the owner of the boy & Me decided to go ahead with it. She seems well in herself but is getting fed up with the situation. She really is a super dog & I do show her. I did intend to breed but circumstances got in the way as I lost my flat & was wandering for a while. I am sure once tings get going properly she will be fine. I just worried that there might be a big puppy holding things up. I will tell her & I will be a\ bit more patient. Bless you for your advice.

Scott Nimmo :

I should be available online for the next four hours or so, please get back to me if I can advise you further ...

JACUSTOMER-p7ci5e88- :

Thank you very much. I will if I need to & I wll let you know the result. Bye for now. M P.

Scott Nimmo :

bye

Hello again,

I am just getting back in touch to see how things went with the whelping.

How did it go?

Regards,

Scott