How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Joey Your Own Question
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4723
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Joey is online now

I have itch bitsy toadstools under a tree in my garden , my

Resolved Question:

I have itch bitsy toadstools under a tree in my garden , my golden retriever keeps going there I cannot watch him 24 /7,but he keeps getting upset tummy,and is very tired all the time until someone comes and he is bright as a button,
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Mushroom (toadstool) ingestion can absolutely cause the symptoms you observe.Toadstool toxicoses are very tough to diagnose without finding the mushroom in the stomach or vomitus when he is ill. The symptoms vary greatly as some of the poisonous toadstool or muchrooms contain multiple toxins. Some of the more toxic mushrooms include; Amanita, Galerina, Clitocybe and others. (You can probably find online pictures to compare to the ones you see, but I find mushroom identification terribly difficult). This is why I treat all mushroom ingestion with caution.

Dr. Joey :

That means a consultation with your veterinarian the next time he has an upset stomach and you are worried about ingestion is needed. You should probably also get rid of the mushrooms as best possible or restrict his access to that area, if possible.

Treatment recommendations are difficult. I treat mushroom ingestion aggressively. I usually recommend inducing vomiting, if the ingestion was recent and the dog is not symptomatic. I would recommend following up with at least one dose of activated charcoal as given by your vet. I would get some baseline blood levels (espeically liver values and mushrooms are notorious for causing liver failure 36 hours after ingestion) and repeat these at 48 - 72 hours. Otherwise, treatment is symptomatic and supportive and would depend, of course on what type was ingested and what signs he had (vomit/diarrhea, not eating, etc).

Dr. Joey :

I hope that helps.

Dr. Joey :

His symptoms, though, may not be related to eating mushrooms. There may be something else going on, and given the off/on nature of his signs, I think consultation with your vet for at least some baseline lab work and consider xrays if nothing is found on lab work is indicated.

Dr. Joey and 4 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have since taken Jay to be checked out at local vet also took with me some of the fungi which turned out to be toxic.He gave him a jab and now back to normal Thank you for your help and concern my dog is my life, He saved me once this was my payback.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
This is just wonderful news! Thank you for the update.