Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My pug is in season she is three years old she is swollen at

My pug is in season she is three years old she is swollen at the end ,but also as a round pink ball shape protruding
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she licking her vulva?
2- Is she having difficulty urinating?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response no she is having no problem urinating ,and she is not licking it ,apart from what it looks like she seems healthy she is eating , drinking and running about as normal

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- The swelling is protruding out of the vulva, correct?
2- This happen since going into estrus, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it just appeared when she came into season and is protruding from the vulva

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jacqueline, it sounds like she has what is called a "Vaginal Prolapse." Basically, the tissue in the vagina has an exaggerrated response to a hormone called "estrogen" produced during estrus. The tissue will begin to go back to normal in late estrus (several weeks), once she is out of estrus (diestrus) it will be normal. The main concern is that the tissue could affect the urethra (tube connecting bladder to vulva from where she urinates) and interfere with her urine output; if this happens she will need surgical resection of the tissue.
As far as recurrence, very likely to happen again next time she goes into estrus; for this reason I would strongly recommend getting her spayed to avoid this in the future. For now this is what you can do:

1- Pick up an ecollar (cone) on her to make sure there is no licking when she is not being observed. Licking will make it worst.
2- Keep the tissue lubricated (moist) with KY Jelly or vaseline.
3- Make sure she is urinating without any problems.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter