Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my dog has a very large skin tag on her abdomen. It is attached

my dog has a very large skin tag on her abdomen. It is attached by a thin piece of skin which is about 0.5cm wide and 4cm long. It finishes in an egg shape/size fatty lump. It doesnt bother her but I have noticed it swings alot when she runs. Can I remove it by tying dental floss or cord tightly around it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand your instinct to remove this skin tag at the base of her body by cutting off the blood supply to it with something like dental floss, but I'd not encourage you to attempt this for the following reason.

I've seen such procedures done by owners in the past with the best of intentions, but I've seen some nasty infections associated with these attempts. I know it seems as if there wouldn't be a problem if the base of the skin tag is really small but unless it's about the diameter of the head of a needle, you might be surprised how messy they can become.

I suspect this skin mass bothers you more than it bothers your dog and I do understand how cosmetically unattractive they can be but I wouldn't remove it as you suggest.

I realize that my answer may not be what you want to hear but I would be doing a disservice to both you and your dog if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you. I hope you understand.

I also hope that this is helpful. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with your dog. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.