Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dogs stomach is making some very loud gastrocy noises wat

My dogs stomach is making some very loud gastrocy noises wat could it be
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

How long has Radley been showing this symptom?

Customer: About 5 hours
Hi Anthony,

We have timed out on chat but we can carry on here ...

Regards,

Scott
Hi Anthony,

Just picked up your reply, " About five hours "

Hopefully this is just a bad cases of indigestion or a case of gastro-enteritis on the way. But of course talking this over via the internet is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Radley over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for stomach upsets in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

2. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You would not need to give much, perhaps a tablespoon or so twice a day.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Radley deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Anthony,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Radley is getting on after the stomach noises episode .

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott