Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 15month old golden retriever who is not interest in

Customer Question

I have a 15month old golden retriever who is not interest in food. We've tried all the well known wet and dry foods. At the moment I give him pedigree chunks with biscuits, which he gradually eats most of it during 24hrs and at his evening meal I add fresh boiled chicken. He has however shown interest in pigs liver and I wanted to know if I can give him some either with biscuits or a small amount mixed in with his other meat. Also what is the best way to cook it for him. He weighs just over 24kg. He had three diseases and to parasites when we first had him. Garadia (sorry about the spelling) ecoli and can't remember the other and the one parasite was tape worm.  He is perfectly fit and healthy now and is checked regularly by our vet. Also was suffering from malnutrition when we bought him.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, pig liver is safe to feed to a dog as long as you avoid feeding it to the exclusion of other foods. Liver is very high in vitamin A and vitamin A toxicosis is possible when liver is fed daily. An ounce or two daily won't be a problem, however, for a 24kg dog. Frying the liver (without onions!) would be appropriate.
Please ask your vet if administering an antacid such as PepcidTwo should be considered in such a dog in order to presumptively treat gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) which may underlie his inappetance. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.