Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi I have a nine and a half year old Newfoundland dog he has

Customer Question

Hi I have a nine and a half year old Newfoundland dog he has a healthy appetite and drinking normally but struggles now to get up and does not want to walk far and often falls over but he's not in any pain its simply his back legs collapse sometimes but he just gets up and carries on also he's holding his head quite low down when walking he has also started to eat grass all the time. Any advice please. Paul.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Paul and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Because of Ben's breed and age there is a good chance that he is suffering from Discospondylitis which is arthritis in between his vertebrae that will interfere with the nerve supply causing his issues. It is important, Paul, that you have Ben x-rayed in his back and neck....this can seem painless because the nerve supply is interrupted. There is also a chance that ben could be suffering from Degenerative Myelitis which is a hereditary problem with no cure.
This LINK explains in more detail:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2600
This eating of grass could be due to the stress or Ben may have a concurrent disease. For this reason, Paul, have your vet do a comprehensive exam and lab work and X-rays.
For now, Paul, try giving Ben aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce the inflammation and ease this distress.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Paul, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this helps sweet Ben so he is more comfortable.

Have a wonderful day!