Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

how long does it last is a choking sound and what can i give

Customer Question

how long does it last is a choking sound and what can i give him to help he has had injection they are up to date
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me a little more about what is going on with your dog, has he suddenly developed a deep cough or retch a bit like something stuck in his throat?

Customer:

he got a cough as if he had something in his throat vet looked and said no then last sunday in the night keep coughting rang the night vet they heard him and said it was kennel cough

Scott Nimmo :

Yes, that does sound a bit like kennel cough, stand by and I will tell you more about it ...

Scott Nimmo :

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

Scott Nimmo :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease and runny eyes are a possible symptom as well.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. If kennel cough is the diagnosis then it is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly.

Scott Nimmo :

For this reason my advice would be wise to have your vet check her over at the next opportunity and of course this would be a good move as other diagnosis are possible.

Scott Nimmo :

However you may be able to give you do a bit of relief with the likes of Benelyn, hold on and I will find a dose rate for you ...

Customer:

thank you so there is nothing i can give him to help him in the night as i need to sleep as well

Scott Nimmo :

Check this link for info on Benylin in the dog including dose rates : http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1395

Scott Nimmo :

Antibiotics would be your best bet though I am afraid ...

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer:

thank you for your help i will ring my vet monday if it still the same and thanks again

Hello again Patricia,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Scooby's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Hello again Patricia,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Scooby is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott