Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Yorkie Poo has been throwing up for days. even if he eats

Customer Question

My Yorkie Poo has been throwing up for days. even if he eats just a bite of food she starts gagging and then throws up. she is pooping normal. she spent 2 days at the vets office with i.v.s and had all blood work done which came out normal but she is still sick. she had a fever last nite so i cooled her down and the fever left. she has been sick for a week. Vet says she must of ate something bad. please help me! marsha
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Marsha and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that Cookie is not feeling well, Marsha. I know this is frightening for you and for your sweet girl. There is a chance that she may be suffering from GERD or Gastroesophageal reflux which can cause stomach acid to cause this vomiting or regurgitation. It is a good sign, Marsha, that the lab works normal. For now, follow these instructions:
Fast Cookie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Cookie Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. If that is not possible, give her Pepto Bismol at 1/2 teaspoon per 10 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Cookie back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Cookie to your vet again for an exam and further diagnostics to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal blockage or Pancreatitis.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much and this makes perfect sense.I have the same thing and take prilosec for it. She makes that sound in her throat. After so much of that she vomits. If you would like I can let you know how it goes. She is definately my baby girl. I am sending my husband to the pharmacy right now. marsha

Excellent, Marsha...I really hope Cookie feels better soon...please do let me know how she is doing.
Thank you so much, Marsha, for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Cookie is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!
Good morning, Marsha. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Cookie. Is she doing any better? Thanks!