Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi my dogs just had major surgery they have giving her anti

Hi my dogs just had major surgery they have giving her anti inflammatories it's called meloxicam 0.9ml once a day they have said that's enough pain relief and last up to 24 hours my main concern is she crying with the pain and they will not give me anything else to help her with it as they said giving her more could have advers affects and give her stomach upset but as I've read on line there are painkillers for dogs which do not course these side affects I'm so concerned and upset I do not like to see my baby in this much pain is there anything I can do should I go and seek a second opinion from another vet many thanks Naomi sorry forgot to mention she's had her womb removed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Often a medication like meloxicam will be enough for this surgery to manage pain.

Dr. Susan :

However, if she is crying, we should certainly pay attention to that!

Dr. Susan :

If she were my patient, I would consider adding tramadol for additional pain control.

Dr. Susan :

This is available by prescription only.

Dr. Susan :

If your vet is not willing to prescribe this for her, then it would be worth a second opinion from someone who would be willing to keep her comfortable!

Customer: Thank you I think I shall give them another ring and if not seek another vets out I know she in pain and if there's something that can be done to ease it that's what I shall do I just needed to hear it from someone else who is professional as you can't always trust the information u get on line thank u very much
Dr. Susan :

You are very welcome. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: No you have answer what I need to know many thanks really appreciate it least I know if I see another vet it will be worth it for her not to be in pain or suffering