Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

our female boxer nearly 7 years old tried to jump a gate at

our female boxer nearly 7 years old tried to jump a gate at home - rebounded and fell. Two days later she was subdued and walking strange. Took her to the vets and she was showing symptoms of trauma to her back end. Bladder was hard and her back legs were dragging. We were given 5 days of anti-inflammatory tablets and some mild sedatives with an appointment made to follow up in 5 days. Since then she has deteriorated - she is no longer urinating and can't walk or stand up unaided. She is still eating and drinking but my husband is having to carry her outside and round the house as she wants to be with the other two boxers we have. We cannot afford expensive exploratory treatments and I feel this is not something that is going to correct itself with time although I am hoping I am wrong. Advice please. Many thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the medication?
2- How long has she been on the medication?
3- Is she dragging her back legs or she is able to support her weight?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The medication is Previcox 227mg x 1 per day and Diazepam 5mg x 2 per day. She has been on this medication for 3 days.

She is dragging her back legs and is unable to support her weight. Her condition has deteriorated over the last 3 days, however, she is eating, drinking and defecating sometimes involuntary. Over the last 2 days she appears to have become urine incontinent but only in dribbles. When we first attended the vet she could support her own weight but was arching her back and walking like she was intoxicated.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a lesion of the spinal cord (back) as a result of bulging disc. If she became worst while being on Previcox she needs to be re-evaluated by family veterinarian and consider the use of corticosteroids which are stronger anti inflammatory medication. Or, have her evaluated by a board certified surgeon for an MRI or Myelogram with the idea for surgery. Highly recommend having her re-checked as soon as possible. The longer she goes without the steroids or surgery the less likely she will regain function of her back legs. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked today. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.