Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have just brought a french bulldog puppy he has been microchipped

Customer Question

I have just brought a french bulldog puppy he has been microchipped and got a passport showing all vaccinations but the date of birth says he is 5 months old but I think he is only 8/10 weeks. Need some advice on what to do please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you may have been mislead about Bob's age. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It is pretty easy to age a puppy between 2 and 6 months of age by the teeth. A puppy only 8 to 10 weeks old will have only "baby" teeth. At 4 months, the very front teeth, the "incisors" are adult teeth. At 5 to 5 1/2 months, the adult canine teeth ( fangs, or eyeteeth) come in, and by 6 months a dog has all its adult teeth.
So, if Bob has all baby teeth, he is less than 4 months. If he has adult incisors, but still does not have adult canine teeth, he is 5 months.
If you are not familiar with telling baby teeth from adult teeth, a veterinarian, vet assistant, even a groomer should be able to look at his teeth and tell you how old he is.
Please let me know if this helps, and what else I can help with or answer.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating!

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rebecca

Thanks for your response, we were then concerned that if the age was wrong could they have lied about the inoculations on the passport also? Would it hurt to inoculate him again just to be sure.

King regards Kevin
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If the age is wrong, and he is younger than what is stated, he does need more inoculations.

Puppies are not completely vaccinated until they are around 14 to 16 weeks of age, so if he is only 10 weeks, he would need another vaccination.