Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hi my 11 week old puppy licked a slug in the garden this evening

Customer Question

Hi my 11 week old puppy licked a slug in the garden this evening is he at risk of catching lugworm or does he need to eat the slug to be at risk
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Although the risk is low it is still a possibility to monitor for

Dr. Altman :

Licking a slug will be more of an oral irritation. It may cause salivation or licking or both. For some that actually eat the slug, there may be nausea and / or diarrhea. With just licking a slug in its normal environment, I would just let him rinse out his mouth by drinking some water and then letting him rest.

One source: "Some of these have indirect, and complex, life-cycles; several of them involve slugs or snails as intermediate hosts, where the habit of sniffing at slug trails, or even licking them, causes the parasite egg to enter the dog's respiratory tract."

Dr. Altman :

The drug fenbendazole is usually administered to kill the parasite. It is very safe and does not harm the animal and a common anti parasitic used in pets as a broad spectrum dewormer

Dr. Altman :

So it might be worthwhile to contact your veterinarian tomorrow as a precaution to treat with fenbendazole, typically one dose daily for three days

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats in a moment to ensure you are able to view my responses

Dr. Altman :

You may have to "refresh" your browser to see further responses if yo reenter live chat

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman :

Does this information make sense? Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today?

Dr. Altman :

Are you able to respond?

Hopefully this format is more readily viewable. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today