Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Red lumps coming up under skin with waxy like discharge, dog

Customer Question

Red lumps coming up under skin with waxy like discharge, dog very lethargic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog.

Rebecca :

My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

How old is your dog?

Rebecca :

How long have the bumps been there?

Rebecca :

Is he (she?) eating, and drinking normally, or in addition to being lethargic, is he eating less as well?

Rebecca :

Lumps under the skin can be infections, parasites, allergic reactions. If this were my own dog, I would look at the discharge under a microscope, to try to determine what they are, and the best way to treat them.

Rebecca :

Being lethargic could indicate a fever, and that these may be infections, and he may need antibiotics. Lethargy can also be a sign of anemia, pain, internal illness. It would help to know if this is a puppy, a young dog, or an old dog.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you soon in live chat.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I hope you can see what I am writing now!
Please let me know what else I can help with, or answer.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maggie is a 12yr old white west highland terrier. She has always been a healthy dog having her yearly boosters, worming and an Advocate pipette applied every month to guard against tics, fleas etc. 2 years ago she had 4 teeth removed then in July this year a further 4 teeth and cyst removed from bottom eyelid on left eye. She seemed ok and to have taken surgery well then about 6 weeks ago we noticed a "lump" half way down her tail very similar to a tic bite but with cleaning and covering this healed, it is since then though that she has started to get these swellings emerge under her skin which then get a waxy residue on top which she obviously will not leave alone. We bathe the areas in warm savlon diluted solution and the waxy covering comes away but next day another seems to be there in a different area, until today she has been eating and drinking normally.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
The only way to know what these lumps are, would be to examine the discharge microscopically, and/or do FNA, fine needle aspirate on one of the lumps (insert a fine small needle to get cells from inside a lump to examine microscopically). You just can't tell what a lump is, by feeling it or looking at it.
If they bother her, and are itchy, they could be an allergic reaction. Benedryl (dipenhydramine) at one milligram per pound of body weight 2 to 3 times daily would help, if they are allergies/hives.
However, a more serious cause of itchy bumps is mast cell tumor, and these can spread internally, and cause internal disease.
If you try the Benedryl, and there is not much improvement, I would find out what these are. Then you will know the best way to treat them, once the diagnosis is made.
Let me know what else I can answer, or help with.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need a prescription for Benadryl and where do you get it . Thankyou
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating, and the bonus!

No, you can get Benedryl (generic name is Diphenydramine) over the counter.

Sorry for the late reply; I have a long day at work!

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to say thank you for your help yesterday, we were unable to get out then but are going to get the Benedryl you recommended today, meantime we have washed the area again with diluted Savlon liquid and to ease over night some savlon cream and she seems to have had a less "itchy" night, thank you once again would certainly use and recommend this service again.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I am happy to hear you like the service.

Rebecca