Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We are getting a puppy from a litter where the mother is 7

We are getting a puppy from a litter where the mother is 7 and a half. This is her third and last litter. She gave birth to 5 live puppies and one stillborn. However most of them were very small. Out of the five there are now only two left as three have died over the last two weeks. My question is that do you think there is something inherently wrong with all the puppies of is it just bad luck? Two surviving girls are thriving and putting on lots of weight. I am just worried there might be something wrong with them too. I suppose I want to put my mind at rest before we commit to one of them. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes
Trude
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Trude. I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

That's a shame that there are only two pups left from the litter but, unfortunately, a loss of this number isn't that uncommon. It's possible that these pups which died were in the same uterine horn and were exposed to something which affected their development...birth defects in other words. Or, because of the age of the mom, higher than normal neonatal deaths can sometimes be seen.
More than likely, you'll never know for sure unless autopsies were done and sometime even then, answers are not found.

If the two remaining pups are strong and healthy, are gaining weight every day and thriving, then I wouldn't necessarily assume that whatever happened to their siblings will affect them. More than likely the two remaining girls will do just fine.

If I were faced with this situation, I wouldn't hesitate to take one of the girls if they continue to do well. I'd definitely have a vet check them out (either the breeder's vet or your vet) prior to taking one of them home, though, but I'd suggest this for anyone who's adopting or purchasing a puppy.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply . Deb