How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30299
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

my 20 month old Labrador has pneumonia isolated to a small

Customer Question

my 20 month old Labrador has pneumonia isolated to a small specific area of the left lobe. she is currently on IV cefuroxime 600mg three times a day. has had 4 doses so far which has resolved her pyrexia and eased her laboured breathing and she is now eating and drinking relatively normally. She has come home this afternoon and is playing with her toys and my cats. The vet thinks the pneumonia has been caused by inhalation of a foreign body, the X-ray shows the infection but nothing else. The vet has suggested surgery to remove the suspected foreign body. my concerns are that this is major surgery, without a definite foreign body to find, which has risks in its own right. obviously if there was something confirmed I would be more inclined to go ahead but feel reluctant to put her through this on suspicion alone. what are the risks of watching and waiting? maybe until the infection has cleared and a repeat X-ray be done? I realise the object could migrate to another area causing more damage and infection in its wake.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If the focal pneumonia were present in the left cranial lung lobe, either aspiration pneumonia or a foreign body are reasonable considerations. There are two more diagnostics to consider before making your decision about how to proceed. The first is an ultrasound of that lung. The second - more pricey and involved but more sensitive - is a CT of that lung.
Yes, you can treat as you've done and repeat X-rays at weekly intervals to see if the pneumonia resolves. I don't see a problem doing so. A foxtail is my primary concern vis a vis migration but I don't know if you have this plant awn where you live. Please let me know:
Dr. Michael Salkin and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I live in Worthing West Sussex UK. I'm not sure about this plant but will find out if it is something that grows here. The vet was concerned about grass horn as the object. He seems keen to do the surgery today but I would prefer a more conservative approach in veiw of her improvement on iv antibiotics providing this doesn't give her unacceptably high risk of further harm. I have recently moved home to the coast and she has been enjoying playing in the sea, could this have been caused by inhaling sea water with maybe a grain of sand? If so I imagine surgery would be inappropriate as the water would have been absorbed and surely it would incredibly hard to identify something as small as sand even under microscopic conditions. Would a bronchoscopy be of any diagnostic value? Obviously much more invasivebut has the advantage being a treatment option too.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. "Grass horn" is unfamiliar to me but, then again, I don't live in the UK. No, sea water/sand would be unlikely. We're looking for organic material. I believe that the X-rays revealed lung parenchymal involvement rather than airway involvement and so bronchoscopy wouldn't be a first-choice diagnostic.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.