Dr:D
Dr:D, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  27 years of small animal medicine and surgery experience.Licensed in Florida and Canada
27194348

I have a working cocker spaniel 11years old . he as a toilet

I have a working cocker spaniel 11years old . he as a toilet problem every now and again he has a hard poo .the vet said after a rectal examination he had an enlarged prostrate and small hernia ,He was castrated and given Pro-Fibre to take every day.
He is a bit better but still has hard poo at times . Have you any suggestions what I can do to try to keep his toilet easier to pass . Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr:D replied 3 years ago.
Dr:D : Hello ,Welcome to JA ,I am DrD ,I am a licensed veterinarian ,I will try to do my best to assist you with your questions today.
Dr:D : A stool softener can be added or you can try a low-fat, low-fiber diet such as Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat.Please talk to your veterinarian about stool softeners like Miralax, lactulose, docusatem . I would avoid fiber If the stool is DRY and hard . I hope this helps.Thank you